Here we are nearly 3 months away from a new addition to our family, and our 3 major house projects are still chugging along. The new nursery is almost complete (minus the furniture and decor), our new side door closet still doesn’t have any primer on it, and our most ambitious project is about half of the way done. Yes, our new guest room/office is really starting to take shape even if it is at a snail’s pace. We did give ourselves a break from everything for a weekend getaway the weekend before last, but this past weekend Dain took on the next task by starting construction of the archway that spans our two future bookshelves and queen sized bed cubby.
All posts in House Projects
Or at least that’s what it feels like lately. And we haven’t even purchased that many items yet. It just feels like it since the few we have chosen are pretty big ticket pieces. Like a crib and a dresser for our nursery. Because time is flying, and we had to order those items. The rest of the accessories are less urgent, but with a self-imposed March deadline, there is no time like the present to start putting our two new rooms together.
Our new rooms have been coming along nicely. The only real eyesores left were our drafty, single pane 1964 windows that were begging to be retired. About a month ago (on December 13), we finally ordered two replacement windows for the new nursery and one for the new guest room, and they finally came in last Saturday. I debated the challenges and benefits of replacing the windows myself, but after a lot of researching how to replace windows and finding out how much it would cost for someone else to do it (2-3 times the cost of the window), I was ready to take on the task.
Now that we have the bones for our small entry closet, it’s on to the interesting part: the design. For the past few weeks we’ve been throwing around ideas about what we need from our new closet from a functionality standpoint as well as considering the eye candy factor since we will look at our little closet every time we go in and out of the house. And that could really bring us down to look at a snarly, ugly mess welcoming us in the door. So we are committed to having an organized and aesthetically pleasing closet. Our vision is likely to change along the way, but we’ve put together a bit of inspiration before we dig in.
I’ve been hard at work on our new rooms, and as we mentioned in this post, our guest bedroom/office is going to have one awesome built-in bed and shelving unit. Making it possible to also have a closet off the kitchen near our side door. After redoing the exterior wall in the room with new insulation and Sheetrock and adding fresh paint to all of the walls, I was on to framing out the new walls for the built-in bed and closet. It was slower going than anticipated, but it’s beginning to take shape.
Our soon to be f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s baby room is officially underway, and yep, we officially striped it out last week. I say “we” because I had the idea, and Dain made it happen. That’s how we roll as a team around here. Gender neutral is not the most appealing theme, but gray and white lend themselves to adding pops of color later so for now we are concentrating on our neutral palette. And thanks to Dain’s mad painting skills, the room is starting to come together now that gray and white stripes are in the house. It wasn’t the easiest task in the world, but Dain was up for the challenge. Here’s his rendition of how he made it happen.
Our room renovations are coming along nicely. All of the dirty demolition and building work is complete, and it’s now on to the tedious detail work. After painting, the next step is to install all of the trim. The old trim was really not salvageable so we decided to buy and install all new trim in the two rooms. We decided on getting solid pine since we were planning on painting it to match the rest of the house, and pine is significantly cheaper than most other hard woods. And solid wood that we paint ourselves apparently meets my wife’s new chemical-free safety criteria that she has imposed on the house.
Of course there were a few things that bugged us about our 1964 classic home when we moved in, one of which was some of the ways things were added on over the years, like phone lines and cable/internet cables. Apparently the easiest way was to just take a drill and bore a hole directly through our nice oak floors and call it a day. Every room in our house is the same way except in our basement where the cable connectors are actually in the wall…where they should be. While going over the plan with my father on our now underway room renovations, he suggested that we pick up a couple of “remodel boxes” for the cable and phone line wires. What are remodel boxes you ask? I had never heard of them either, but I now consider myself a professional remodel box installer because of how easy they are to install.
I wrote Monday about part of the really fun weekend myself and a couple of helpers had tearing apart 3 walls in our future nursery and guest room/office. It was a very long Saturday, but we managed to get the walls demolished and put back together, and we even started to prime a few of the other walls in preparation for the final color choices that I’ll hopefully be able to get to this weekend.
Realizing that we only have approximately 4 1/2 months left until our new edition arrives, it was finally time to stop planning and talking about our room remodels and actually get down to business. We’ve showed you what we have in mind for our new nursery room and office/guest bedroom, but before we get to the fun stuff, we needed to do some behind the walls improvements that are a little less glamorous. I enlisted the help of my father and father in-law to assist me so we would be able to knock the majority of the hard work out in a day.